Thanet Winter Shelter is a local based group supported by Thanet District Council, East Kent Police, Porchlight and local Thanet churches. Our volunteers are drawn from the faith and non-faith groups across Thanet. Through our organic partnerships we help the rough-sleeping homeless change their lives.
Working together in partnerships we aim to help the rough-sleeping homeless change their lives.
Thanet Winter Shelter Mission Statement
The Thanet Winter Shelter exists to provide for homeless people across Thanet a range of welfare and accommodation services seeking to bring new hope and new opportunity to rebuild damaged lives. In an atmosphere of unconditional love and compassion we seek to offer acceptance and respect to all.
Thanet Winter Shelter Objectives
● To make a big difference to the lives of people in circumstances beyond their control and who find themselves street or rough-sleeping homeless.
● To use church buildings as overnight accommodation during the coldest nights of the winter.
● To involve local church members and non-faith volunteers from the community to help very vulnerable people in Thanet.
● To help homeless people move on from the Shelter to accommodation that is suitable for them.
● To help guests realise their own value and potential, by building supportive partnerships and taking responsibility for their own lives.
● To establish funding and administrative support to enable a Winter Shelter to be provided again next year, and in future years.
● To provide practical support such as food, shelter, clothing, healthcare, assistance finding employment and training as well as building relationships, listening and caring
Thanet Winter Shelter Ethos
As a Christian organisation we are dedicated to serving people of all faith groups and beliefs or none. We are passionate about inclusion and being non-judgemental. We recognise the support and help other local agencies and projects offer, and seek to work together to achieve the best outcomes for those who access our shelter.
Please get in touch if you feel you can help us